Depression can be a call within
In my own journey of finding the peace, I mistook working towards achievements, and accomplishing those achievements, as somehow, finally arriving. I just knew that if I did achieve my dream, my goals, I would be there. For a while, after an accomplishment, I felt elated. But before long that restlessness would start to move in. And in that moment, I was no longer in peace. I was looking for peace in accomplishing the next task.
Eventually the success of achieving a goal wasn’t enough. I started the process of journeying inward. At first it wasn’t by choice, it was because I was depressed. My depression became my gift of taking me inward to myself. Peace is not found outside of ourselves and if we find ourselves in pain, struggling, it may be our soul calling us, encouraging us to look within as we are able to bring peace within ourselves by looking within.Tags: depression is a call to look within
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
Licensed Independent Mental Health Practitioner
- Janie Pfeifer Watson, LICSW, is the founder and director of Wholeness Healing Center, a mental health practice in Grand Island, Nebraska with remote sites in Broken Bow and Kearney. Her expertise encompasses a broad range of areas, including depression, anxiety, attachment and bonding, coaching, couples work, mindfulness, trauma, and grief. She views therapy as an opportunity to learn more about yourself as you step more into being your authentic self. From her perspective this is part of the spiritual journey; on this journey, she serves as a mirror for her clients as they get to know themselves—and, ultimately, to love themselves.
LATEST ARTICLES BY Janie Pfeifer Watson
- Mastering Resilience: How to Manage your Response to Challenging Situations
- Celebrating 25 Years of Business A Journey Marked by Resilience, Growth, and the Power of Community
- COVID-19 – Heightened Mental Health Awareness and Employer Appreciation
- Change Your Brain with Psychotherapy
- The Gut Brain Connection
Sign up to receive the latest mental health tips and inspiration