Clutter-Free Holiday Season Ideas
- Plan ahead and consider each item you buy and whether it is truthfully something they need and is useful. Do not give anything this year just for the sake of buying it.
- Ask for what you want. When people ask you what you want for a present, be prepared. Let them know something practical that you want and will use. You could ask for donations to a favorite charity.
- Consider intangible gifts. This could be service gifts or giving something to their favorite cause or doing them a service-washing their car, cleaning their home, etc.
- Consider going through your things before gift giving and giving to Goodwill. Give yourself limits, such as for everything coming in, two things must go out.
- Give consumable gifts that will not become clutter.
- As a family make the choice to give the gift of time as a donation, such as volunteering to serve meals somewhere.
- Give experience gifts such as tickets to the movies or a favorite play. These experiences will live on as great memories yet no clutter!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
Licensed Independent Mental Health Practitioner
- Janie Pfeifer Watson, LICSW, is the founder and director of Wholeness Healing Center, a mental health practice in Grand Island, Nebraska with remote sites in Broken Bow and Kearney. Her expertise encompasses a broad range of areas, including depression, anxiety, attachment and bonding, coaching, couples work, mindfulness, trauma, and grief. She views therapy as an opportunity to learn more about yourself as you step more into being your authentic self. From her perspective this is part of the spiritual journey; on this journey, she serves as a mirror for her clients as they get to know themselves—and, ultimately, to love themselves.
LATEST ARTICLES BY Janie Pfeifer Watson
Sign up to receive the latest mental health tips and inspiration