Self Care – The Ultimate Act of Love
Finding the peace and maintaining it is about balance in our life. A big part of that balance is about self-care. If we aren’t taking care of ourselves then there is not balance in our life. Self care encompasses mind, body and spirit. And it seems to be the task that most frequently gets overlooked in a busy schedule. Often when I ask a client what he/she is doing for self-care, he/she has little to say, reporting lack of funds or time. However, unless we put ourselves on the priority list, we will not find the peace. Taking care of ourselves is loving ourselves. I do believe this is a task we are to learn how to do in life. If we love ourselves, we can then love others. But if we are missing that component, we really can’t fully love others. I would also say that it can be the most difficult task – loving ourselves.
So if you are one who struggles with putting yourself on the top of the list, then start out with baby steps. Take an inventory of your self-care ways. Often I have clients make a list of 101 ways they can nurture themselves. This exercise is to drive home the point that we can be doing small things throughout the day that are nurturing and loving.
Here are 21 ideas.
- Drink enough water today.
- Walk in the grass with your bare feet and enjoy the sensual moment.
- When someone asks you how you are doing, respond, “Awesome!”
- Take a bubble bath and let the water caress and hold you.
- Light a candle and allow the fire and scent to center you.
- Take five minutes to deep breathe and allow the stress to release through your exhales.
- Sit and commune with nature, allowing yourself to take in the freshness of the moment.
- Make a point to really laugh because you are present in the conversation.
- Journal about how you are feeling today and spend some time listening to yourself.
- Take your vitamins today and the rest of this week.
- Shut your phone and computer off for an hour and have time to yourself.
- First thing in the morning work out and give your day an energy boost.
- Listen to your body and decline that second helping when you don’t need it.
- Start a gratitude list and glance at it when you are overwhelmed.
- Smile throughout the day at each person you see.
- Be intentional about enjoying the moment.
- Make a realistic “to do” list and give yourself kudos for making progress on it.
- Take a space in your home and make it your space where you can come to sit and rest a bit. It will be your own retreat center.
- Have your morning coffee outside and listen to the birds singing.
- Take a walk and be intentional about catching what is going on “now”.
- Listen to your hypnosis CD to become relaxed and calm.
So today put yourself on the priority list and do something nice for you. Start to treat yourself as you would a good friend and implement caring things throughout your day. Just notice if it makes you feel a bit more loved and a bit more positive about your day.Tags: prioritize you, put yourself on your list, self care ideas
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Janie Pfeifer Watson
Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
Licensed Independent Mental Health Practitioner
- Janie Pfeifer Watson, LICSW, is the founder and director of Wholeness Healing Center, a mental health practice in Grand Island, Nebraska with remote sites in Broken Bow and Kearney. Her expertise encompasses a broad range of areas, including depression, anxiety, attachment and bonding, coaching, couples work, mindfulness, trauma, and grief. She views therapy as an opportunity to learn more about yourself as you step more into being your authentic self. From her perspective this is part of the spiritual journey; on this journey, she serves as a mirror for her clients as they get to know themselves—and, ultimately, to love themselves.
LATEST ARTICLES BY Janie Pfeifer Watson
Sign up to receive the latest mental health tips and inspiration