These are suggestions from parents that have worked for some kids. They may or may not work in your situation. Use them as you wish, change or modify them, and add your own as you develop your parenting style.
- TV/Game Boy/Play Station/Nintendo, etc. No more than one hour per day, supervised. No violent shows/games, no shows with inappropriate language. No television for children under 2 years of age.
- No second chances. No warnings. Compliance must be the first time, every time.
- Apologies must be complete: I am sorry for……………(state offense). The child must make eye contact the entire time of the apology with the person or start from the beginning.
- Do NOT ask “Is that okay?” after a request. That puts the child in charge and undermines your authority.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Licensed Independent Mental Health Practitioner
Licensed Professional Counselor
Advanced Clinical HypnoTherapist
- Deb England began working part-time for Wholeness Healing Center in September 2004 and began full-time in May 2005. Deb practices primarily in the Broken Bow office and one day a week in the Grand Island office. Previously she had completed her practicum and internship at Morning Star Alliance, working in the Broken Bow and Grand Island offices.
LATEST ARTICLES BY Deb England
Sign up to receive the latest mental health tips and inspiration