Starting the Year off Right by Kicking the Habit!
“Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette. Puff, puff, puff until you smoke yourself to death” the once popular song written by Merle Travis and Tex Williams, sung by Commander Cody and even Willie Nelson, reflects how addictive the habit of smoking is, affecting relationships, time, and social interactions. And while the song didn’t report the physical aspects of smoking, it is good to recognize how dangerous smoking is to our health and well-being.
In an online article addressing the physical benefits of stopping smoking, “What Happens to Your Body if You Stop Smoking Now”, the following changes were reported:
- In 20 minutes your blood pressure can drop back down to normal.
- In 8 hours the carbon monoxide levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels can return to normal.
- In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will decrease. Almost all the nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a more normal level
- In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
- In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
- In 3 to 9 months coughs, wheezing, and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%+.
- In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
- In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
- In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
- In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
These are just the physical benefits. In our work teaching the CLEAN BREAK program, the smoking cessation program using hypnosis, we have also become aware of the emotional and mental benefits that accompany the ceasing. Those include, but are not limited to, releasing shame, feeling more comfortable and confident in public, allowing oneself to get closer to others, as well as identifying the emotional “pay-off” that people get from smoking and setting new and healthier goals.
- The CLEAN BREAK smoking cessation program is a 4 week program, 2 hours per week, that includes education, cognitive behavioral work, and hypnosis and guided imagery. All participants receive a workbook and CD’s to listen to weekly, taking responsibility for their healthy choices.
If you are ready to enter the New Year taking charge of your life by stepping into your empowerment, perhaps the CLEAN BREAK program is for you. Please call 308.382.5297, EXT 110 for next available dates of the groups.
www.globalone. tv/profiles/blogs/what-happens-to-your-body; July 2, 1986.
Tags: hypnosis smoking cessation, kicking the habit, physical benefits of stopping smoking, stop smoking
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Licensed Independent Mental Health Practitioner
Licensed Professional Counselor
Advanced Clinical HypnoTherapist
- Deb England began working part-time for Wholeness Healing Center in September 2004 and began full-time in May 2005. Deb practices primarily in the Broken Bow office and one day a week in the Grand Island office. Previously she had completed her practicum and internship at Morning Star Alliance, working in the Broken Bow and Grand Island offices.
LATEST ARTICLES BY Deb England
Sign up to receive the latest mental health tips and inspiration